VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. A VPN is a fictional ‘tunnel’ through which information can be exchanged securely. This ‘tunnel’ does not exist in reality, it is basically a fictional private network through which information can be exchanged securely on the Internet.
The Internet is a place of open information exchange. Since it is a public network, that is, connected to everyone in the world, there is a risk that the privacy of information will be leaked in the case of direct information exchange.
To avoid this risk, VPN is the safest way to connect to your personal or private network using the Internet. This method creates an imaginary tunnel on the Internet to connect users and private networks.
Classification of VPNs:
VPN can be classified in different ways. E.g.
- PPTP VPN
- Site to Site VPN
- L2TP VPN, Remote Access VPN
- MPLS VPN
- Hybrid VPN etc.
How VPN works:
A VPN client can connect to a VPN server via an external network interface. An imaginary tunnel is created on the Internet to connect users and private networks through VPN.
In this way, information is exchanged in an encrypted state, so that the information is kept secure. The private network for VPN has a VPN server and the VPN client is configured on the user’s PC.
When a user wants to connect to his private network via VPN, he must first confirm the internet connection on his PC and then log in to the VPN server through the VPN client. After logging in, even if the user is far away from his network, he will still get all the benefits of the private network.
What are the benefits of VPN:
The benefits of VPN are given below –
- Using a VPN means you can exchange data securely.
- No one will be able to track or know your location using VPN.
- Hides the IP address ( Internet Protocol address ). That is, hackers are unlikely to be caught.
- Get full speed internet from your internet service provider IPS ( International Service Provider ).
- With VPN you can visit blocked sites in ISP ( International Service Provider ). For example, if YouTube is blocked in our country, you can still access YouTube using a VPN.
- It serves as a way to secure communication and encrypt data. A VPN can connect your machine to a virtual network and quickly encrypt all the data you send, ie hide it from the public domain and keep track of your browsing history. So you are completely safe online.