What is cholesterol?

What is cholesterol?

Cholesterol is like wax, yellow-white fat, and an important component of cell membranes. Cholesterol is also needed to make vitamin D, hormones (including testosterone and estrogen), and fat-soluble bile acids.

In fact, cholesterol production is so important that the liver and intestines make about 80% of the cholesterol needed to stay healthy, and the remaining 20% comes from the food we eat.

Some facts about cholesterol:

Cholesterol is very important for the formation of our cell membranes, certain hormones, and vitamin D.
Our liver and intestines make 80% of cholesterol and the remaining 20% comes from the food.
Cholesterol does not dissolve in water, so the liver makes lipoproteins to transport cholesterol.
Of the 5 types of lipoproteins, the two most notable are lipoproteins – LDL and HDL
LDL is known as “bad” cholesterol because it narrows the blood vessels in the arteries.
HDL is known as “good” cholesterol because it removes bad cholesterol from the blood and brings it back to the liver.
Excess LDL cholesterol in the blood can lead to many health problems, including heart attack or stroke.
Reference:

Share