Are you trying to chew an amla? You are not liking the taste? Are you thinking of throwing it out? Please don’t. At this poing drink some water and you will get sweet taste. This is the magic of amla.
In Ayurveda, amla is known as nectar fruit. Both the fruit and the leaves of amla are used in medicine as herbal qualities. Amla contains a lot of vitamin C. According to nutrition scientists – amla contains 3 times more than guava, 5 times more vitamin C than citrus. It also has 5 to 20 times more than orange, 120 times more than apple, 20 times more than mango and 3 times more vitamin C than banana. An elderly person needs 30 mg of vitamin C every day. This amount of vitamin ‘C’ we can get from two amlas in a day.
Amla not only increases our food taste but also strengthen our immune system. It can destroy viruses and bacteria. There is preliminary evidence that amla juice works in arthritis and osteoporosis. It has also been shown to be effective against some types of cancer. The main role behind the function of the ‘anti-oxidant’ form of amla is considered not to be vitamin C, but rather to the substance called elazatanin.
Nutrition of amla:
- Calories: 66
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: less than 1 gram
- Carbs: 15 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Vitamin C: 46% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin B5: 9% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 7% of the DV
- Copper: 12% of the DV
- Manganese: 9% of the DV
- Potassium: 6% of the DV
Health benefits of amla:
The scientific name of amla is: Phyllanthus emblica. In Sanskrit it is called ‘Amalika’. The English name is called ‘Amla’ or ‘Indian gooseberry’. The benefits of amla are discussed below –
- Amla is very effective for hair. Raw amla juice has the ability to strengthen the hair root. It also reduces the hair fall and makes our hair black shine. Apply the raw amla juice to the hair and keep it for 2-4 hours daily. In this way if we continue this process then it will strengthen our hair root and reduce the hair fall.
- Amla has antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that amla inhibits the growth of cancer cells.
- Every morning, if we drink the amla juice it will help preventing peptic ulcer.
- Amla helps toxins out of the body and reduces weight.
- To control high blood pressure amla works very efficiently. By mixing amla powder with honey and eating that every day, we can get good results to control our blood pressure.
- Amla is very rich in Vitamin C. Amla helps to increase the immune system, relieve colds and improve digestion. Drinking one teaspoon of amla juice every day with honey will help to relieve the cold.
- Helps to digest and increase appetite.
- Amla also helps to remove the pigmentation of the skin.
- Amla helps to keep the blood cholesterol level in control and keep the eyesight strong.
- It is also good for liver health. It helps to release toxins from the liver and improves liver function.